Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Koi Fish and Pinterest


This weekend I got a lot done. Okay, I didn't get a lot done, but I got a good amount of things done. Many of which are my favorite kind: the kind you only have to do once. But that’s not why I am here today. Today I want to tell you about koi fish and Pinterest.

It all begins with the best part of last weekend, which was when I got to go out to lunch with my husband and no children! This is related to the koi pond, but first let me just take a moment and remember what it was like to go out and eat dinner in peace and quiet.

*sigh*

Okay, I’m done. Moving on.

Where did we go? Well, some of you may know this, but in my pre-mom life, I worked in the restaurant industry. I was trained as a chef apprentice at my local community college. I was actually in the first year class, of their now, amazingly successful program. One of the classes they teach is the restaurant class, which is exactly what it sounds like. The students come up with a restaurant theme and menu and then open it to the public once a week during class. They all take turns at each station, including waiting tables, and learn what it's really like to work in an actual restaurant. They're only open for an hour and a half and you have to buy tickets in advance, but for $14-$18 per person you get a four to five course gourmet dinner, and you get to watch them cook it because the classroom walls are made of glass. I had a great time pointing everything out to my husband (he'd never been there before) and reminiscing about how it was 'back in the old days' (read ten-ish years ago).

As we were leaving, I called my sister who was watching the kids and asked if she needed us to come back right away. It was beautiful out and we were trying to get as much time away as we could. She said that we could stay out, because my mom and dad, my aunt, and her friend were going to take everyone to the park so no rush. Yes! More free time!

Of course, since we are boring and couldn't go too far away, we ended up stopping at the local hobbie shop and buying a new set of dice. (Party all the time, that's me.) We decided after that, we would head back to the house and enjoy the half hour or so of complete quiet before everyone returned from the park. About fifteen minutes after we arrived home, I got a phone call. It was my mom, she was laughing, and she said, and I quote, "We may have had a couple incidents."

Now we can go back to the koi pond, pictures of which, you may have seen in my Flickr feed. It’s in the middle of a flower park with trails and a gazebo. Lots of people have their weddings there, or at least get their weddings pictures taken there. The pond itself is pretty big and deep in the middle and it has a curved bridge at one end. The pond has turtles, ducks, koi fish, and a garter snake that we've seen a couple times. Every time we go, we bring crackers to feed the fish, some of which are huge!


This was the first time I didn't go with the kids. But there were five adults and only four kids (including my nephew) what could possibly go wrong?

I'm sure you can see where this is going. My youngest was the first one in the water. He slipped into the pond while standing between my dad and my aunt and got wet all the way up to his shoulders. Then kid two slipped in, though he was only wet up to his butt. The last child, my oldest, saw his twin getting pulled out of the water, looked at my aunt, smiled, and jumped into the pond.

So ten minutes after she called, three soaked to the skin toddlers in squishy sneakers, dripped through my kitchen and into the bathroom. Luckily, it was warm out and the pond was shallow at the edges. They are also lucky that I have a good sense of humor, but then I think that might be a prerequisite if you have kids.

That was Saturday, day. The rest of Saturday, I spent cleaning and posting things to Pinterest. Now I have a lot of things to do during the day, I really didn't need another one. But my cousin Amber (@wanderingknits) was 'nice' enough to show me something else to distract me from my work. Pinterest is sort of a like a bookmark site, which sounds kind of boring, but really it's amazingly addicting, because it's all visual. And to prove how addicting it is, I spent over four hours adding stuff to the boards I created. You can check out all the neat things I found here. What kind of things you ask? Well things like this:


And this:


And of course this:


I also set up a board with all the reviews Fantasy-Faction has done since we started. It's really cool to be able to see all the book covers lined up like that. It's kind of like my own virtual review library. :)

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough, so I believe I will wrap this up now. And possibly go play on Pinterest some more.

Happy Writing! :)

Title image by aroundtheisland.

1 comment:

  1. The restaurant sounds fantastic! Wonder if they have anything like that around this area. Hmm, will have to look into that. Glad everyone was safe at the end of the day & just soggy! :-)

    ReplyDelete